Use this Burgess Bird Book Resource Guide as a ONE STOP SHOP to put together your own Bird Study Unit. Below you can find FREE DOWNLOADS to the books, FREE AUDIOBOOK downloads, FULL CHAPTER BY CHAPTER BIRD LIST with links to further information, COLORING PAGES, NOTEBOOKING PAGES, AUDIO CLIPS, and VIDEO CLIPS.
Thornton Burgess was a master at teaching children about the wildlife around them in a way in which they didn’t even realize they were learning. Charming and gentle, Burgess’s stories are a delight for children of all ages (and their parents too!)
Thornton knew his birds and animals. A keen naturalist and observer (inspired by his youth years mostly outside), he wrote over 100 books and nearly 15,000 short stories.
The Bird Book is a fantastic place to start your journey into Burgess’s world or for starting a bird unit. Peter Rabbit, hopping around the Old Orchard, chats with his friend Jenny Wren as he discovers all the new springtime arrivals. One by one, we learn about the appearance, behavior, migration, nesting and feeding habits, songs and calls, and how each bird cares for its young.
Where to Get the Book (Print, eBook, or Audiobook Versions)
Being in the public domain, you can easily find a free ebook version below. If you prefer a print version (I do!), you can find reprints with the original color illustrations on Amazon as well as cheap used copies and if you are lucky enough to find an older copy on eBay with color illustrations, it can be kept as a beautiful heirloom.
- Free Kindle Version (no illustrations)
- Gutenburg.org (ePub and Kindle Version with black and white illustrations)
- Archive.org (ePub, Kindle and more versions with color illustrations)
- Free Audiobook Download
- Free Audiobook Download
- Print Copy (original color illustrations)
- Print Copy (budget option).
- OR find used on eBay
3 part cards, coloring pages, notebooking pages OH MY! Blog moms are so talented, putting together all these amazing resourses for you to use in your bird study! FREE COLORING PAGES IN THE CHAPTER BY CHAPTER GUIDE BELOW!
Get your FREE Burgess Bird Book Notebooking Pack!
Notebooking pages for each bird organized by chapter!
PLUS beautiful color images and illustrations of each bird for your reference.
Click the Image Below to Get Yours Today!
- Montessori Cards by That Resource Site. This is a beautiful set with original illustrations. Print two sets on yardstick for a simple matching game.
- Copywork Pages with Manuscript Writing
- Simple Copywork Pages with Manuscript or Cursive Option. You will need to scroll to the bottom of the post to find access to the “My Bird Notebook” PDF links
- Burgess Bird Book Study Guide PDF. My Soul Doth Delight put together an easy to follow guide for how to use the Book and further activities for each chapter
- Sara at Plumfield and Paideia has put together an excellent unit study with a free lesson plan printable to use with the Burgess Bird Book
- Collection of Downloadable Black and White Images that accompany each chapter of the book.
- $. Check out this post from Our Home on the Range about how she bought the Peterson Field Guide to Coloring Birds and incorporated that into their Burgess readings.
- This Burgess Bird Book You Tube Playlist from Precious Homeschool
- Audiobook with Illustrations on You Tube. 20 chapters available.
- An interesting video about how museums put together dioramas and the nature artist behind them. Includes a short clip about Louis Agassiz Fuertes.
- Video showing comparisons between L.A. Fuertes’s paintings and the real animal.
- A lovely read about Thornton Burgess’s Life. Part biography and part musings, an interesting way to learn more about the author.
- Digital Collection of Audobons Bird Paintings. To be viewed online
- Arizona Field Orthinologist Sound Library not only has a list of sound clips for most North American birds, but this list is organized by Taxonomic Order, which is super handy if you want to easily see which birds are related.
- FREE COLORING BOOK from Cornell featuring close to 50 common feeder birds, including some of the birds in the Burgess Bird Book
- FREE COLORING BOOK from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources with high quality images. Includes 9 of the birds from Burgess.
Chapter by Chapter Bird List with Additional Resource Links
Included in the section below are links to chapter audio clips, free downloadable coloring pages, song clips, free notebooking page and printable pictures as well as the corresponding page in the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Comstock (HBNS) when applicable.
**The thumbnail images next to each chapter are the actual illustrations from the book. In my edition, the birds discussed and the chapter picture did not always match. I have lined up the pictures to the birds when possible and included additional artwork from Louis A. Fuertes when a particular chapter did not have a picture.
If you would like to learn more about the original artist go here for an in depth read.
Chapter 1: Jenny Wren Arrives
- House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)
Chapter 2: The Old Orchard Bully
- House Sparrow/English Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
Chapter 3: Jenny Has A Good Word for Some Sparrows
- Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)
- White-Throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)
- Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)
Chapter 4: Chippy, Sweetvoice and Dotty
- Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)
- Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)
- Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
Chapter 5: Peter Learns Something He Hadn’t Guessed
- Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)
- American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
Chapter 6: An Old Friend in a New Home
- Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)
- Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)
Chapter 7: The Watchman of the Old Orchard
- Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)
- Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus)
Chapter 8: Old Clothes and Old Houses
- Wood Peewee (Contopus virens)
Chapter 9: Longbill and Teeter
- American Woodcock (Scolopax minor)
- Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)
Chapter 10: Redwing and Yellow Wing
- Redwing Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
- Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)
Chapter 11: Drummers and Carpenters
- Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)
- Hairy Woodpecker (Leuconotopicus villosus)
- Red Headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes eryth)
Chapter 12: Some Unlikely Relatives
- Cowbird (Molothrus)
- Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)
Chapter 13: More of the Blackbird Family
- Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius)
- Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)
Chapter 14: Bob White and Carole the Meadowlark
- Northern Bobwhite Quail (Colinus virginianus)
Coloring Page | Song Clip | Northern Bobwhite Quail Page and Printable Picture | About | Video Clip | HBNS Page 136
- Meadowlark (Sturnella magna)
Chapter 15: A Swallow and One Who Isn’t
- Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)
- Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)
Chapter 16: A Robber in the Old Orchard
- Purple Martin (Progne subis)
- Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Chapter 17: More Robbers
- American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)
- Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)
Chapter 18: Some Homes in the Green Forest
- Ovenbird (Seiurus aurocapilla)
- Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
Chapter 19: A Maker of Thunder and a Friend in Black
- Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus)
- Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)
Chapter 20: A Fisherman Robbed
- Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)
- Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)
Chapter 21: A Fishing Party
- Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)
- Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)
Chapter 22: Some Feathered Diggers
- Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia)
- American Sparrow Hawk or American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)
Chapter 23: Some Big Mouths
- Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor)
- Whip-poor-will (Antrostomus vociferus)
- Chuck-wills-widow (Antrostomus carolinensis)
Chapter 24: The Warblers Arrive
- Redstart (Phoenicurus)
- Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)
Chapter 25: Three Cousins Quite Unlike
- Black and White Warbler (Mniotilta varia)
- Common Yellowthroat aka the Maryland Yellow-Throat (Geothlypis trichas)
- Yellow Breasted Chat (Icteria virens)
Chapter 26: Peter Gets a Lame Neck
- Parula (Setophaga americana)
- Yellow Rumped or Myrtle Warbler (Setophaga coronata)
- Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia
Chapter 27: A New Friend and an Old One
- Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)
- Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)
Chapter 28: Peter Sees Rosebreast and Finds Redcoat
- Rose Breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)
- Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea)
Chapter 29: The Constant Singers
- Red Eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)
- Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)
- Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons)
Chapter 30: Jenny Wren’s Cousins
- Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)
- Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)
Chapter 31: Voices of the Dusk
- Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)
- Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus)
- Wilson’s Thrush or Veery or Tawny Thrush (Catharus fuscescens)
Chapter 32: Peter Saves a Friend and Learns Something
- Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)
- Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)
Chapter 33: A Royal Dresser and a Late Nester
- Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)
- Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)
Coloring Page | Song Clip | American Goldfinch Notebooking Page and Printable Picture | About | Video Clip | HBNS Page 54
Chapter 34: Mourner the Dove and Cuckoo
- Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)
- Yellow Billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus)
Chapter 35: A Butcher and a Hummer
- Shrike (Lanius borealis)
- Ruby Throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)
Chapter 36: A Stranger and a Dandy
- European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
- Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)
Chapter 37: Farewells and Welcomes
- Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)
Chapter 38: Honker and Dippy Arrive
- Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)
- Common Loon (Gavia immer)
Chapter 39: Peter Discovers Two Old Friends
- White Breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)
Coloring Page | Song Clip | White Breasted Nuthatch Page and Printable Picture | About | Video Clip | HBNS Page 65
- Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)
Chapter 40: Some Merry Seed Eaters
- American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)
- Dark Eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
Chapter 41: More Friends Come with the Snow
- Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)
- Horned Lark (Eremophila alpestris)
Chapter 42: Peter Learns Something About Spooky
- Screech Owl (Megascops asio)
Chapter 43: Queer Feet and a Queerer Bill
- Crossbill (Loxia leucoptera)
Chapter 44: More Folks in Red
- Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator)
- Redpoll (Acanthis flammea)
Chapter 45: Peter Sees Two Terrible Feathered Hunters
- Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis)
- Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)